01.Breakfast Plum Cake with lemon syrup
1 x 7g sachets dried yeast
150ml of luke warm milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups plain flour
30g softened butter
¼ teaspoon salt
10 ripe plums or whatever is in season (apricots, nectarines cherries apples, pear)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine yeast, milk and sugar let stand for 5 minutes or until frothy.
- Add yeast mixture to flour, butter, eggs and salt. Mix very well together until a smooth ball is formed a bench mixer with a dough hook can be used.
- Leave to rise in a warm place for an hour or so until doubled in size.
- Grease a baking dish, about 30 x 25cm.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead till smooth.
- Roll out and place in the baking dish.
- Allow the dough to rise for 45 minutes.
- Add the topping (below).
- Bake at 180°C for 30 – 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, pour over syrup allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Cut the fruit in half or quarters depending on the size remove seed and or core and place cut side up on the dough.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over cake.
½ cup water
½ cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
- Place ingredients in a saucepan, stir over medium heat until sugar has dissolved.