Skip to content   Skip to footer navigation 

Contents insurance for renters comparison

Buy smarter with CHOICE membership


Or Learn more

Last updated: 24 May 2024


Checked for accuracy by our qualified fact-checkers and verifiers. Find out more about fact-checking at CHOICE.

Compare dozens of contents insurance policies for renters from almost 40 insurers so you can find the right cover for your belongings. We've looked at contents policies offered by ANZ, Suncorp, Westpac, Coles, NRMA, Youi and more. 

We're not like the other insurance comparison websites – we don't get paid by any of the insurers we're comparing.

Read more

How we compare contents insurance

We collect publicly available product information on insurance policies, and send surveys to insurers asking for quotes for a range of scenarios. 

Premiums differ from home to home, so we can't estimate how much a policy will cost you. To compare policies on price we obtained quotes for five different customer scenarios in two locations per state and territory (one in the capital, one in a high-risk area) as well as northern Queensland. By comparing the results of these tests we can see how each policy stacks up against the competition in each region.

Show less


Expand to view more details.

List of brands we tested in this review.

    enter value/s in increments of 1 between 0 and 0

    Satisfaction score

    Expand to view more details.

    We surveyed customers to ask them about their overall experience with the insurer. This score represents the percentage of people who rated their experience as above average or excellent. Percentages with an asterisk* had fewer than 30 respondents, so they should be taken as indicative only. N/A means there was no result for that insurer.

    enter value/s in increments of i between 72 and 87

    Accidental damage cover

    Expand to view more details.

    Cover for accidental loss or damage to contents at the home.

      Portable contents cover

      Expand to view more details.

      Cover for portable valuables away from home.

        Included in this comparison

        Members-only access
        • Available in the NT
        • Insurer
        • Product card description
        • Underwriter
        • Satisfaction score
        • Pay-by-the-month charge
        • Contents cover
        • Legal liability cover
        • ACT price comparison
        • NSW price comparison
        • NT price comparison
        • North Queensland price comparison
        • South Queensland price comparison
        • SA price comparison
        • Tasmania price comparison
        • Victoria price comparison
        • WA price comparison
        • How to claim
        • New for old replacement
        • How the insurer can settle your claim
        • Cash settlement
        • Available in NSW
        • Available in the ACT
        • Available in Queensland
        • Available in SA
        • Available in Tasmania
        • Available in Victoria
        • Available in WA
        • Cover for explosion
        • Cover for fire
        • Cover for theft
        • Cover for flood
        • Cover for storm and cyclone
        • Cover for earthquake
        • Cover for tsunami
        • Cover for action of the sea
        • Cover for storm surge
        • Cover for vandalism
        • Cover for impact
        • Cover for animal damage
        • Cover for sudden escape of liquid
        • Cover for breakage
        • Cover for accidental damage
        • Cover for motor burnout
        • Keys and locks after break-in
        • Temporary accomodation
        • Debris removal
        • Cover individual valuables away from home
        • Cover unspecified valuables away from home
        • Digital media
        • Artworks
        • Collections (e.g. stamps, coins)
        • Jewellery
        • Overlapping cover at a new house
        • Cover for contents while moving house
        • Contents in the open air
        • Visitors' contents
        • Spoiled food
        • Pet cover
        • Underinsurance protection
        • Accidental damage cover
        • Portable contents cover
        • 24/7 emergency phone line


        Your filters

        Clear all filters

        Product selected for a detailed comparison

        Clear all