BrandExpand to view more details.
List of brands we tested in this review.
PriceExpand to view more details.
Price as of July 2019 in $AU for standard VPN plans. Yearly price is rounded to nearest dollar; converted from $USD to $AU where necessary; higher-priced plans may offer more options.
enter value/s in increments of 1 between 36 and 179
Auto server selection
Client software selects the best performance server automatically.
Whether the program reconnects automatically in the event of interruption.
Kill switch disconnection protection
Whether the user software can automatically stop the data transmissions if the VPN connection drops, preventing the transmission of data over an unsecured connection. A kill switch can work with specific apps (such as your browser) or stop all internet access system-wide. It usually has to be enabled by the user. A kill switch may auto re-connect after a drop-out, auto-run on Windows start-up, or auto-connect when the VPN app launches.
Stealth option in standard plan
Stealth mode allows the VPN to mask traffic so it appears as regular HTTPs traffic, to stop the VPN use being blocked. Whether this is available in the standard plan.
This overall score comprises ease of use (60%), performance (30%) customer support (5%) and ease of service cancellation (5%).
enter value/s in increments of i between 69 and 88
Performance score is calculated from the VPN speed discrepancy – the difference in download speed between using VPN compared to not using the VPN. Measurements are averaged from three runs across different days and times. The reference measurement (download time without VPN connection) is taken immediately before measurement with the VPN connected.
enter value/s in increments of i between 74 and 100
Ease of use score
Ease of use score comprises initial account set-up experience (20%), installation and set-up (20%), software functionality (20%), ease of switching servers (10%), and the clarity and intuitiveness of the user interface (30%).
enter value/s in increments of i between 61 and 89
Ease of service cancellation score
enter value/s in increments of i between 45 and 100
Included in this review
- Overall score
- Performance score
- Ease of use score
- Ease of service cancellation score
- Customer support score
- Discrepancy in speed using VPN (percentage)
- DNS leak test (Windows 10)
- Default VPN protocol
- DNS leak protection option
- DNS leak protection default setting
- Number of user devices supported basic paid plan
- Router install supported
- VPN data logging policy (claimed)
- Personal details requested during signup
- Kill switch disconnection protection
- Good points
- Bad points
- Price (annual plan)
- Price monthly
- Free trial available
- Free trial or service limitations
- Mobile app included in price (Apple/Android)
- Accepts PayPal
- Unlimited data
- Auto-renews subscription
- Australian servers
- Encryption enabled by default
- Default encryption type
- Auto reconnect
- Auto run on Windows startup
- Auto connect when app started
- Stealth option in standard plan
- Auto server selection
- Stealth option in premium plan
- Speed test to determine best server
- Malware protection option