Skip to content   Skip to footer navigation 

Home and contents insurance comparison

Buy smarter with CHOICE membership


Or Learn more

Last updated: 22 April 2020


Checked for accuracy by our qualified fact-checkers and verifiers. Find out more about fact-checking at CHOICE.

We've compared home insurance policies from across the market to help you find the right cover for your building and contents. We've looked at home and contents policies offered by ANZ, Suncorp, Westpac, Woolworths, NRMA, Youi and more.

We're not like the other insurance comparison websites – we don't get paid by any of the insurers we're comparing.

Read more

How we compare

We collect publicly available product information on insurance policies, and send surveys to insurers asking for quotes for a range of scenarios.

Premiums differ from home to home, so we can't estimate how much a policy will cost you. To compare policies on price we obtained quotes for five different customer scenarios in two locations per state and territory (one in the capital, one in a high-risk area) as well as northern Queensland. By comparing the results of these tests we can see how each policy stacks up against the competition in each region.

Show less


Expand to view more details.

List of brands we tested in this review.

    enter value/s in increments of 1 between 0 and 0

    Included in this comparison

    Members-only access
    • Cover for fire
    • Cover for theft
    • Cover for sudden escape of liquid
    • Cover for lightning
    • Cover for storm and cyclone
    • Cover for flood
    • Cover for action of the sea
    • Cover for impact
    • Cover for animal damage
    • Cover for vandalism
    • Cover for earthquake
    • Cover for tsunami
    • Cover for accidental breakage of glass
    • Legal liability cover
    • Cover for motor burnout (building)
    • Key/lock replacement after theft
    • Gardens
    • Mortgage discharge fees
    • Costs to comply with building regulations
    • Professional fees
    • Debris removal and demolition
    • Temporary accomodation
    • New for old replacement
    • Cover individual valuables away from home
    • Cover for valuables while travelling
    • Cover for motor burnout (contents)
    • Spoiled food
    • Jewellery
    • Works of art
    • Collections (eg stamps, coins)
    • Digital media
    • Cash
    • Tools of trade at the home
    • Cover while moving house
    • Contents in the open air
    • Visitors' contents
    • Pet cover
    • Building underinsurance safety net
    • Contents underinsurance safety net
    • Online claiming
    • 24/7 emergency phone line
    • Accidental damage to building
    • Accidental damage to contents
    • Choice of repairer
    • ACT price comparison
    • NSW price comparison
    • NT price comparison
    • FNQ price comparison
    • QLD price comparison
    • SA price comparison
    • WA price comparison
    • TAS price comparison
    • VIC price comparison
    • Corrections
    • Insurer
    • Underwriter
    • Building Cover
    • Contents cover
    • How to claim
    • Pay-by-the-month charge
    • Cover for storm surge
    • Cover for accidental damage
    • Choice of repairer
    • Cover unspecified valuables away from home
    • Underinsurance protection
    • Cover for unspecified portable contents
    • Sold in ACT
    • Sold in North Queensland
    • Sold in NSW
    • Sold in NT
    • Sold in South Queensland
    • Sold in SA
    • Sold in Tasmania
    • Sold in Victoria
    • Sold in WA


    Your filters

    Clear all filters

    Product selected for a detailed comparison

    Clear all