BrandExpand to view more details.
List of brands we tested in this review.
PriceExpand to view more details.
Recommended retail, as of June 2020.
enter value/s in increments of 1 between 2399 and 6995
Full frame or Low step. Full means it has a cross bar you have to lift your leg over, low step means it has no cross bar and easier to get on.
- uphill and slow riding performance, ease of mounting and dismounting, off-bike handling (50% of bike score)
- downhill and fast flat riding stability, safety and comfort (30%)
- comfort and safety on bumpy and rough surfaces (20%).
enter value/s in increments of i between 63 and 81
- starting, stopping and responsiveness (40% of motor system score)
- hill climbing assistance (30%)
- controller and display (20%)
- high-speed assistance (10%).
enter value/s in increments of i between 59 and 85
How many Watt Hours does the battery have. This directly correlates with how long it will last in a constant stream of assist. Larger the battery, the more expensive to replace.
enter value/s in increments of i between 400 and 561
Usually the motor is located either where you peddle (mid) or at the rear of the bike.
Some bikes have a walk mode where if you are having to push the bike for whatever reason, it will still give some assist. Handy since they tend to be heavy!
Very handy to have if you are starting the bike from a hilly start, it allows you to trigger the assist, though it tends to be at a low acceleration.
Included in this review
- Overall score
- CHOICE Buy
- Motor system
- Bike style
- Hill climbing
- Speed assistance
- Rough terrain
- Alternative frame type
- Sizes available
- Motor brand
- Motor model
- Motor location
- Max assist torque
- Assist settings
- Walk mode
- Thumb throttle
- Battery type
- Battery location
- Wheel size
- Tyre width
- Tyre tread
- Rear rack
- Suspension fork travel
- Suspension seatpost
- Good points
- Bad points
- Frame type