01.Blood orange pistachio cake
1 cup caster sugar
100g shelled pistachio nuts, crushed
100g ground almonds
Zest of 1 blood orange
3 tablespoons self-raising flour
1 cup pure icing sugar
1 teaspoon softened butter
1 – 2 tablespoons fresh blood orange juice
extra crushed pistachio nuts decoration (optional)
• Preheat oven to 180C fan forced. Line the base of a 23cm-diameter cake tin with baking paper.
• In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until white and fluffy.
• Add the eggs one at a time, stirring in between.
• Add crushed pistachios, ground almonds, orange zest and orange juice to the creamed butter mixture. Fold in the flour.
• Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
• In a bowl, mix the icing with enough juice to make a slightly runny icing and pour over the cake to set icing place in fridge for 10 minutes sprinkle over some crushed pistachio.