01.Pea and ham soup
500g green split peas
500g yellow split peas
2 ham hocks
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 rashers bacon, diced
3 onions, peeled & diced
4 celery sticks, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 litres water
2 parsnips, grated
2 carrots, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup mint, finely chopped
- In a large bowl add peas and ham hocks, cover with water, leave to stand overnight.
- Drain and rinse peas.
- In a large pot, heat oil and fry bacon, onions, celery and diced carrot. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add peas and ham hock. Cover with water, bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender and almost falling off the bone. Stir occasionally.
- Remove meat from ham hocks and chop into small pieces. Discard bones.
- Return meat to soup, add grated parsnips and carrot, salt and pepper.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir through mint.
- Get the best ham hock you can find from your local deli or butcher .
- Ham hock should small smoky and fresh not fatty and old.