01.Indian vegetable and chicken soup
2 tablespoons oil
½ teaspoon salt
3 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon sumac
1 teaspoon cardamom pods
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
2 teaspoons ginger, freshly grated
1 teaspoon turmeric, freshly grated or ground
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup curry leaves
1 onion, peeled & sliced
2 small chili’s, finely sliced, optional
1 carrot, peeled & chopped
8 baby eggplants, 1cm slices
2 large chicken thigh fillets, chopped 2cm pieces
1.25 litre chicken stock
1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- In a mortar and pestle, make a paste with 1 tablespoon of the oil, salt, mustard seeds, sumac, cardamom pods, fennel seeds, ginger, turmeric and garlic.
- Heat a large saucepan on a medium heat, add the rest of the oil, paste and curry leaves, fry for 2 minutes.
- Add onion, chili, carrot and eggplant, fry for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken, stir until coated.
- Add chicken stock and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve with Indian style bread.
Check out other great soup recipes: Cauliflower soup recipe, potato and leek soup recipe and more in the Soups section.