1.5 kg dutch creams or desiree, thinly sliced (waxy potato variety)
½ clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons butter
300mls pouring cream
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven 200°C fan forced or 220°C conventional oven (may need to turn the food for even cooking)
- Rub a large baking dish or casserole dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter, sprinkle over garlic.
- Cover the base with a layer of the potatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Continue layers of potato and salt and pepper until just beneath the rim of the baking dish.
- Combine milk and cream. Pour over top until the baking dish is ¾ ‘s full.
- Break knobs of remaining butter evenly over the top.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 180°C and cook a further 20 - 30 minutes approximately or until golden brown and potatoes are tender and the aroma of the dish fills the room.