500g green split peas
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 litres chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoon butter
- Soak peas in water overnight.
- Drain and rinse peas.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat, add onion, and cook for 3 minutes. Add peas, stock and salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until peas are soft and mushy. Stir occasionally.
- Add extra stock or water if too dry or remove lid if too much liquid.
- Stir in butter before serving
- Serve with homemade meat pies, fish and chips.
Check out other following amazing recipes from the CHOICE Kitchen: