01.German Potato salad
300mls sour cream
½ cup whole egg mayonnaise
½ red onion, finely diced
120g tinned mushrooms, chopped
6 large gherkins, finely diced
100g ham, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
8 medium washed potatoes, cooked with skin on. Cool (see how to below)
• In a large bowl combine all the dressing ingredients.
• Peel the skin off the potatoes with a knife.
• Half the potato lengthwise then cut into rough slices
• Gently fold the potatoes through the dressing.
• Check seasoning
• If mixture is too thick add some of the gherkin liquid to get a thinner consistency.
• Refrigerate before serving
How to Boil Potatoes Whole for Salads
Use washed potatoes
It is best to boil potatoes with there skins on as this will prevent the potato from soaking up too much water.
Choose potatoes that are much the same size.
Place the washed potatoes in a large saucepan with cold water.
Bring the water to the boil allow to simmer for approximately 35 – 40 minutes (check after 30 minutes if potato is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre of the potato if the potato slides away slowly from the skewer it is ready.
You don’t want to overcook your potatoes so check them regularly
Allow the potatoes to cool with the skin on or if you are impatient hold the potato in a tea towel and use a knife to remove the skin.