2 tablespoons olive oil
2 brown onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
500g pork mince
500g veal mince
3 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
Parmesan cheese rind (optional)
2 tabs sea salt
Pepper to taste
- In large saucepan heat oil on medium heat, fry onion and garlic until soft.
- Add bay leaves, pork and veal mince and continually stir until brown, breaking up any lumps.
- Add passata, tomatoes, water and parmesan cheese rind, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and cook with lid on for 2 hours.
- Remove lid and cook for another 30 minutes or until sauce is slightly thicker.
- Serve with your favourite pasta and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Freeze left over bolognese.
- Save and freeze the rind of parmesan cheese to add flavour to the sauce.
- Freeze any left over sauce, can be used in a lasagna, pasta bake or mousaka recipe.
- Buy fresh parmesan cheese in a block and keep in the freezer for when required.