There are 3 main steps to making a lasagna:
1. The bolgnese sauce: make double the quantity when ever you make it as 1 portion can be frozen. It makes making lasagna so easy when you have some in the freezer.
2. The Bechamel sauce: easy to make in the microwave. Follow the Cook's CHOICE recipe see How to cook béchamel sauce in a microwave”.
3. Putting the layers together. Finish with a generous layer of béchamel sauce and grated parmesan cheese.
1 portion Bolognese sauce (see spaghetti Bolognese recipe)
11/2 portions béchamel sauce (see béchamel sauce recipe)
1 - 2 packets fresh lasagna sheets (depends if you like more or less layers)
2 large leeks, cleaned sliced thinly (sauté in a little oil till soft)
1 small cauliflower, cut into flowerets, cooked till soft, optional
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese, grated
• Preheat the oven to 180°C fan forced or 190°C conventional.
• In a large rectangular baking dish (8" x 13").
• (25x 35cm), spread a thin layer of Bolognese sauce.
• Add a layer of lasagna sheets, (cut if need be to cover sauce).
• Spread a layer of cauliflower, season.
• Spread a layer of Bolognese sauce.
• Drizzle approximately a ¼ cup of béchamel sauce over Bolognese (keep at least 1½ cups of béchamel sauce for the last layer).
• Add more lasagna sheets continue with the layers of cauliflower, bolgnese, and béchamel.
• The last layer covered with béchamel sauce.
• Sprinkle over parmesan cheese.
• Bake in oven for approximately 40 minutes until golden brown and sauce is bubbling around the sides.
• If the fresh lasagna sheets are a little thick roll them out a little more using a rolling pin.
• The smaller the dish the more layers.
• Other vegetables can be added to substitute the cauliflower and or the leeks, try zucchini, spinach, marinated capsicum (see How to Roast capsicum), pumpkin.