200g Chocolate (room temperature), break into small pieces
- Place chocolate into a microwave proof glass or ceramic bowl.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds, if still not fully melted, give short bursts of microwave power every 20 seconds until chocolate is runny. (If there are small chunks of unmelted chocolate allow the residual heat to finish off the melting).
- Be very careful when melting chocolate in the microwave. Use small bursts at a time and stir after each burst of microwave power, as chocolate can look unmelted as it tends to hold its shape.
- Overcooked chocolate has a burnt smell and taste. Instead of being smooth and runny it is dry.
- The higher the wattage of your microwave the less cooking the time will be i.e. 900 – 1000W can take approximately 1 min and 45 seconds. 700 – 800W can take approximately 2mins 20 seconds.
- Always use a clean metal spoon to stir chocolate.
- Keep water or moisture away from chocolate when melting as one drop can ruin the chocolate.