75 g butter
75 g (3 ½ tablespoons) plain flour
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, optional
Salt & pepper to taste
½ teaspoon nutmeg, optional
750 ml milk
- Place butter in a large glass or plastic microwaveable jug (2 litres).
- Melt on high for 1 minute.
- Stir in flour, mustard, salt and pepper and nutmeg, cook on high for 1 - 1 ½ minutes.
- Remove from microwave and gradually whisk in the milk. Add enough milk initially to form a smooth paste and then continue to gradually add the rest.
- Return to microwave cook on high, for 4 - 5 minutes stirring after each minute.
- Sauce is ready when it starts to thicken and bubble.
- Check out our Cauliflower Au Gratin and Lasagna recipes.
- The time it takes in a microwave depends on the wattage. These times are based on a 1000W microwave so if less than 1000W the cooking time will increase.
- During cooking keep an eye on the sauce you don’t want it to boil over.
- It is very important to add the milk slowly initially beating after each addition to remove any lumps.
- Add a large handful of grated parmesan or tasty cheese to make a cheesy white sauce.