- Remove giblets and any internal fat.
- Wash and dry chicken well.
- Place chicken on a board breast side down.
- Using a sharp knife, insert the tip of the knife, to the left of the parson’s nose. Cut along the side of the back bone, cutting into the cavity.
- Repeat the above step on the right side of the parson’s nose.
- Remove back bone.
- Turn chicken over breast side up.
- With the heel of your hands press down onto the breast until it lays fairly flat.
- Spread out the legs and wings.
Butterfly a chicken when you want to marinate. The marinade coats the chicken easier, covering more of the surface area. It is also a great way to barbecue chicken. Place the chicken straight on the grill on a medium low heat. Alternatively, it can sit in a baking tray.