The CHOICE home-made muesli recipe is one of our favourites. The results disappear pretty fast as the aroma wafts through our test kitchen — we hope you like it too.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup rice bran
- 2 cups triticale flakes (or substitute wheat, rice or bran flakes)
- 3/4 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup shredded or flaked coconut
- 2 tbsp honey
- 150 ml fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup apricots, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 6 pieces dried apple, chopped finely
- 5 pieces dried mango, chopped finely
- 5 pieces dried paw paw, chopped finely
- 6 prunes, chopped finely
- Combine all dry ingredients (except dried fruit).
- Blend honey and juice (warm gently in microwave), pour over dry ingredients, mix well.
- Place mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper, bake at 150°C for 25-30 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Combine dried fruit with baked ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container.
Other dried fruits can be used instead — try figs, raisins, cranberries, currants, banana or pears.
Video: Great muesli recipe
Gene shows us a simple recipe for home-made muesli.
Nutritional information per 100g
1280kJ / 306Cal
|Total Fat (g), including:
|Total carbohydrate (g) including:
This muesli is high in fibre, low in sodium and for muesli contains less than average fat. To meet our 'best of all (nutritional) worlds' criteria (see our Muesli report for details), only use half the honey, apricots and sultanas to reduce the sugar content. Our breakfast cereal report has more information on choosing a healthy breakfast cereal.