Partly Australian-owned, Powerdirect was established in 2000 by AGL to serve the electricity needs of just under 80,000 customers in Australia. While the company is not well known, Powerdirect claims to pride itself on providing quality customer service and reliable electricity at a reasonable price.
While Powerdirect concentrates predominately on its business customers, the company also supplies electricity to residential customers throughout Australia. It is publicly owned and a subsidiary of AGL, with head offices in Sydney, and call centre in both Australia and the Philipines.
Since AGL owns Powerdirect, and AGL's product is climate active, which is where Powerdirect gets all its power to onsell - its product is carbon neutral based on the Climate Active sandard. AGL owns and operates coal, gas, battery, hydro, solar and wind energy. It operates large coal-fired power stations and gas-fired power plants.
Contact details for Powerdirect
1300 138 647
- Powerdirect does not own any power stations. All energy it supplies comes through AGL's assets, which include coal power stations.
- The company offers a lower-than-average price on GreenPower.
- AGL's emissions intensity is above average. AGL has also registered its product as climate active, and that means Powerdirect's product is carbon neutral.
- Powerdirect's parent company also owns solar, hydro and wind power plants, but these make up only a small fraction of the company's energy mix.
- 2311 (2.9%) of Powerdirect's customers made complaints against the company in 2019-20.
- 85% of customer service calls made to Powerdirect are answered within 30 seconds, according to AER's 2019-20 data.
- The average wait time for a customer service call made to Powerdirect is only 30 seconds.
- Only 3% of calls made to Powerdirect are abandoned before being answered.
As Powerdirect is a subsidiary or AGL and doesn't own any generation assets of its own, the energy mix of power supplied by Powerdirect is the same as that supplied by AGL.