Online booking sites
Online booking sites such as airbnb.com, homeaway.com and iha.com allow homeowners to rent out rooms or their entire house to visitors. Holiday homes are available throughout Chile, with prices varying greatly depending on the size, type and location of the property. In Santiago, a private room with shared bathroom on Airbnb can cost as little as $27 per night for two people, including service fees, while a private apartment for two including service and cleaning fees can be $135 or more.
Top tips for booking holiday homes in Chile
- Before booking a holiday home, do some research on where you'd like to stay. To get an idea of the area the home is located in, use Google Maps' street view to check out the surroundings.
- Wherever possible, look for homes other travellers have stayed in and reviewed to give you an idea of what to expect. Also look for reviews of the site you're using to book the holiday home. If others have had problems, give it a miss. You can find reviews on tripadvisor.com, as well as on booking sites themselves.
- Check whether the home has a safe to secure your valuables.
- Check the terms and conditions of the holiday home before booking, such as whether you'll need to pay a bond for any potential damage to the home and how quickly that bond will be refunded after you've checked out. Not all properties, even those listed on the same online booking site, will have the same terms and conditions.
- Check the fees applicable to your booking so you know what the total cost will be. Some homeowners will charge a cleaning fee, while others will incorporate it into the base cost of the rental.
- Find out what amenities the home includes, such as internet access, linen and access to kitchen basics.
- Consider paying for the booking with your credit card. While it may incur a surcharge, you'll have access to a chargeback if things go wrong.