I started journalism at the Malaysian online news organisation Malaysiakini in 2013, before returning to Australia to study a Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) at RMIT in Melbourne.
Before joining CHOICE, I worked for four years with SBS News as investigative journalist, digital journalist, cadet and South Australian correspondent.
I've worked internationally in Malaysia and Indonesia and on a freelance basis for Al Jazeera English, ABC 730, Radio National, Reuters, BBC World Service and Deutsche Welle.
I was winner of the Walkley Foundation's Young Journalist of the Year student category award in 2016, a Highly Commended finalist in the 2023 Quill Awards and the 2022 Excellence in Civil Liberties Journalism Awards, and the winner of a Melbourne Press Club Michael Gordon Fellowship in 2022.
I am a proud member of the journalist's union the MEAA.
Recent articles by Jarni
- Medical centres forcing patients to share their personal data
- Australians pressured to take out BNPL loans they can't afford
- A record 97,000 Australians complained about financial services last year
- Facial recognition technology in use at major Australian stadiums
- IAG cops a record $40m fine over insurance pricing failures
- Taylor Swift ticket rush exploited by illegal ticket scalpers