Test research is a key element of the unique work we do here CHOICE.
But not only do we test products for consumers, we also provide a fast and cost-effective way of testing products for development and registration. Our world-renowned test laboratories and technical specialists conduct quality product testing in accordance with many Australian and International standards. We have NATA accreditation in the areas of Performance and Approval Testing as well as Mechanical Testing, and operate to AS ISO/IEC 17025.
We also offer product development to test programs, and independent, consumer-oriented research, testing, guidance and information that can validate the performance and safety of products.
Our staff members also participate in Standards Australia technical committees for the development of specialist AS/NZ standards, and have hands-on experience and detailed knowledge of many related standards both local and international.
NATA accredited testing and product development
If you're a manufacturer, retailer or importer – CHOICE can help you.
- NATA-accredited testing: Whether you need to register a washing machine under the energy labelling scheme, or you're thinking about importing a toy for under three-year-olds, we can conduct NATA-endorsed testing in a range of areas under our accreditation fields Performance and Approval Testing 1702 and Mechanical Testing 3601.
- Product development: Perhaps you want to improve the products you already offer to Australian consumers? Our state-of-the-art labs and expert test staff can tailor tests to suit your requirements and needs. This service is available for a wide range of products, from whitegoods and home entertainment equipment to cooking appliances and children's products. For this work we generally don't provide NATA-endorsed reports, and all results are confidential.
Below is some more detailed information on the areas of our testing capabilities:
Refrigeration and thermal appliances
Our thermal lab is NATA-accredited to test the performance of household refrigeration appliances to AS/NZS 4474 part 1 and 2.
Our test rooms provide strictly controlled ambient temperatures between 10 and 43°C. Precision equipment and data loggers record 40 temperature channels per room every minute, together with power and other important technical information.
Our laundry laboratory is NATA-accredited to test:
- washing machines to AS/NZS 2040 part 1 and 2
- dishwashers to AS/NZS 2007 part 1 and 2
- rotary clothes dryers to AS/NZS 2442 part 1 and 2.
Our climate-controlled laboratory environment, calibrated standard appliances and test equipment ensure efficient and reliable appliance testing. A high-quality water system provides water temperature and hardness control. We are also able to test dishwashers and washing machines to AS/NZS 6400:2005, or water efficiency ratings and labelling.
TV and home entertainment
Our home digital laboratory is NATA-accredited to test power consumption for televisions with digital receivers using AS/NZS 62087.1 (clause 11.6) and AS/NZS 62087.2.2 (sections 1 to 5).
We also operate a sound room and computer laboratories and can assist with product development to your specific requirements.
Our controlled laboratory environment and calibrated test equipment ensure efficient and reliable appliance testing.
Nursery and children's products
Our children's products lab is NATA-accredited to test:
- Children's toys to AS/NZS ISO 8124 part 1
- Prams and strollers to AS/NZS 2088
- Household cots to AS/NZS 2172
- Portable cots to AS/NZS 2195
- Babies' dummies to AS 2432
- High chairs to AS 4684-2009.
Our laboratory is climate-controlled and we have developed an extensive range of test equipment based on Australian and International Standards to ensure highest quality testing.
Other household products
We also operate kitchen and small appliance laboratories. Our staff have more than 40 years' combined experience and can help you with product development for kitchen and household appliances such as ovens, vacuum cleaners and a range of other products.
Interested? Please contact us at email@example.com to discuss your requirements in more detail.
CHOICE industry seminars
Why do we test the way we test? At CHOICE we test according to Standard methods if we think they are rigorous and consumer-focused. In many cases, however, we design our own methods to reflect as much as possible how people really use the products, so that our reports can answer the most relevant questions.
Our expert testers and content specialists regularly put together industry seminars to provide valuable insights into how we design and conduct our tests (including hands-on demonstrations of selected tests), and how we interpret the results.
The seminars allow our CHOICE experts to share their consumer-focused thinking with manufacturers. This knowledge can not only improve understanding of how we operate, but can also be applied in future product design (leading to better products) and standard development (leading to better standards).
CHOICE Raw Data Reports
Are you interested in the raw data that sits behind our published scores for your models? For relevant products and for scores that are based on measured results rather than comparative subjective assessments, you can purchase Raw Data Reports - contact us for details and prices.
Seminar schedule for 2015 so far:
- Clothes dryers 2015
- TVs 2015
Want to know more? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about our scheduled seminars, or to discuss setting up a seminar for a product that's not listed.