What kind of vacuum cleaner do I need?
Mid-priced vacuum cleaners usually give the best performance for the price, although it's the more expensive models which give the very best carpet cleaning. Some low-cost vacuums compare favourably with pricier models - you can compare models in our table to see which ones - but generally the cheaper models are better suited to cleaning hard floors.
When buying a vacuum cleaner, keep in mind the type of cleaning that's required.
- Barrel models are easier to carry up stairs and use in awkward places, such as a car or behind furniture.
- Upright models suit large areas of carpet cleaning, on a level surface, as they have built-in power heads.
- A conventional cleaning head is usually all you'll need to vacuum carpet. But when it comes to pet hair, a model with a turbo brush or power head will often give a more thorough clean.
To see how reliable the top-performing brands are from this test, as well as reliability information for 21 other appliance categories, go to CHOICE's kitchen section and check out our latest appliance reliability results.
- Bissell Healthy Home 61Z4-F
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Multi Cyclonic 10N6-F
- Bosch Free'e Animal BSGL5244AU
- # Bosch XXL-Hose BSGL32XLAU/03
- # Dirt Devil Pet DDC1800P
- Dyson Ball DC39 Animal
- Dyson Ball DC40 Allergy
- Dyson Compact DC26 HEPA
- Dyson DC33
- # Dyson DC41 Animal
- Dyson Stowaway DC23 Motorhead
- Electrolux Supercyclone ZSC6930
- Electrolux Ultra Active Cyclonic ZUA3861P
- Electrolux Ultra Active Green ZUAG3802
- Electrolux Ultra Active ZUA3831PT
- Electrolux Ultra One S-Bag Z8870P
- Electrolux Ultra Silencer ZUS3950P
- # Electrolux Ultraone Z8830PT
- Hoover 7010PH Prestige
- Hoover Performer 3000
- Hoover Prestige 7010
- # Hoover Smart 11120364
- Kambrook Captiv G3 Pet KBV480
- Miele Compact Cat & Dog S6320
- Miele Power Plus S7210
- Miele S2111
- Miele S5211 Family Caretaker
- # Miele S5211 Turbo
- Miele S5311 Hard Floor Specialist
- Miele S6330
- Nilfisk Bravo 18451023
- Nilfisk Meteor 12404911
- Piranha Battler 2400W
- Piranha Phantom 2400W
- # Piranha Sky 2400W Cyclonic
- # Rowenta Silence Force Extreme RO822183
- # Russell Hobbs Extreme Suction RHF208C
- # Sauber Intelligence SI-200
- Sebo Airbelt K1 Pet
- Sebo Airbelt K3 Premium
- Sebo Felix Premium
- # Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV350
- # Sharp Power Cyclone EC-S2141A-S
- Vax Power 6 VCP6B2000
- # Vax Power 7 Pet VCP7P2400
- Vax Power Plus 3 Pet VPP1600P
- Vax Zen 2 Pet VCZP1600
- # Volta Advantage Plus U5420
- # Wertheim Dog and Cat W2000
# Newly tested.
Plus results for over 70 previously tested models now discontinued.
How we test
Dirt removal from carpet Our tester, Peter Horvath, pre-loads the vacuum cleaners with artificial household dust, embeds sand evenly into a section of carpet and vacuums it to a set pattern and speed. The sand collected is then weighed and recorded as a percentage of the sand applied; this is repeated twice for each vacuum cleaner and results averaged. He rates all models based on the dirt pick-up performance from carpet using the standard cleaning head.
Ease of use is based on how easy it is to manoeuvre the cleaner and move the cleaning head on the carpet and under low furniture. Peter assesses how difficult it is to empty and change the dirt receptacle; operation of the controls; and how easy the supplied accessories are to use and store.
Cleaning corners and along edges Sand is spread into a right-angled corner, and using the standard cleaning head it’s vacuumed to see how close to the corner each cleaner is able to pick up dirt.
Pet hair removal Peter embeds cat hair in the carpet and, as with the dirt pick-up test he vacuums it to a set pattern and speed. He rates the results based on how much cat hair is left behind after the test. Where supplied, the turbo brush or power head is used for this test; otherwise he uses the standard cleaning head.
Scratch test For uprights, the cleaning head is set to the hard floor setting and stops the brush from rotating; for barrels, Peter uses the hard floor tool or standard cleaning head set to hard floor. He runs the head back and forth 50 times over a lacquered fibre board and checks for scratch marks. This result is not added to the overall score in our table.
Noise is measured at the user’s position at maximum power setting. Even though most models produce similar sound readings, some emit a high-pitched whistle that can be irritating.
For more information on vacuums of all types, see Vacuum cleaners.