We review 33 handheld blenders from $10 to $299.
Through our rigorous testing, we reveal which handheld blenders:
- perform the best at chopping and processing, and
- are the easiest to use.
We previously tested handheld blenders for blending and emulsifying and found them to be excellent, and we're confident that all handheld blenders can carry out their most basic function well.
On this page:
Do you need a handheld blender?
If you make soups or have a baby to prepare food for then a handheld blender is useful. And if you have a small food-processing job like making pastes or chopping or grinding small amounts of food, then a blender with a processing attachment is even better as it means you don't have to pull your bulky processor out of the cupboard.
When it comes to ease of use, some models leave a lot to be desired. Safety is just as important as comfort - their sharp, exposed blades make quick work of many foods, so ensuring your hands stay clear of them is vital. The good news is all the models tested have some sort of guard to partially cover the blades. You should also take care when using your blender if it has a metal guard, as it could scratch and damage bowls and saucepans.
CHOICE's experts independently test a wide range of products and services to bring you unbiased reviews, product comparison tools and buying advice that is trusted by 160,000+ members.
Get access to all
*Billed quarterly as $22.95
We split the blenders into two groups: models that blend, emulsify, chop, and process hard foods (these models come with a chopper/processor attachment, so you simply remove the blending shaft to affix to the accessory) and models that can only blend and emulsify soft foods. In the past we’ve found all of them to be excellent at blending so we don't test them for this anymore. Instead we assessed their ease of use and for the models with processor attachments, we subjected them to chopping and processing tests. Check our comparison table for the results.
For more information on Benchtop appliances, see Kitchen.
Brands and models tested
- Bamix Basic
- Bamix Classic #
- Bamix Mono
- Bodum Bistro Stick Blender K11179
- Braun Multiquick 100
- Braun MultiQuick 5 hand blender MR530 Sauce
- Breville BSB300 Wizz Stick
- Breville BSB500
- Breville HB95
- Breville the Control Grip BSB510
- Breville the Control Grip BSB310
- Breville the Control Grip BSB400 #
- Cuisinart CSB-76A SmartStick
- Cuisinart CSB-77A Smart Stick Blender
- Electrolux TurboPro Stick Mixer ESTM6400 #
- Kambrook Essentials stick mixer KSB7
- Kambrook Power Drive Stick Mixer KSB8 #
- Kenwood Hand Blender HB520
- Kenwood HB615
- Kenwood kMix Triblade hand blender HB891
- Kenwood Triblade Hand blender HB714 (HB710 series)
- Kenwood Triblade Hand blender HB724 #
- Kenwood Wizzard Pro HB665
- KitchenAid Hand Blender 5KHB100
- Maxim HB-01
- Philips Hand Blender HR1363
- Philips Jamie Oliver Hand Blender HR1680/00 #
- Russell Hobbs Stick Mixer RHSM650 #
- Solutions Stickmixer AP649
- Sunbeam StickMaster Plus SM6400
- Sunbeam StickMaster Pro SM8650
- Sunbeam StickMaster SM6200
- Tefal HB802 Click N Mix 600
# Newly tested models.
How we test
The following tests determine the performance score.
- Blending Our home economist, Fiona Mair, blends potato and leek soup to assess the blenders ability to produce a uniform homogeneous puree with no lumps of potato or leek.
- Emulsifying Fiona makes a mayonnaise to assess the handheld blenders ability to mix successfully for an emulsion to occur.
NOTE: In the past we've found all handheld blenders to be excellent for blending and emulsifying so we don't conduct these tests on new models.
- Chopping Fiona chops carrot, a hard food, so as to assess the blenders ability to chop this type of food evenly.
- Processing She processes ingredients to make a pesto sauce, assessing the handheld blenders ability to process the ingredients evenly.
NOTE: Only the models that came with a separate chopper/processor unit were subjected to the chopping and processing tests.
Ease of use Fiona assesses the general comfort and grip of the blender, how easy the controls are to use and how easy it is to clean.
Get access to our independent testing reports and save yourself time and money.