You’ve read the latest Choice test report on digital cameras and decided now’s the time to take the plunge. But where do you go to find the best deal?
You could trudge all over town looking for the cheapest price or wait on the phone while busy sales assistants eventually answer your enquiry. Or you could let your mouse do the walking and search for the best price on one website.
- Shopping comparison sites list the highest and lowest prices from a range of shops, including online and traditional retailers.
- You search for the product you’re interested in or click through the product categories for the item and the site creates a list of prices from several retailers.
- When you’ve found one that looks competitive, follow the link to the retailer’s website to buy online or find out if they have a shop in your area.
Please note: this information was current as of April 2007 but is still a useful guide to today's market.
Things to look out for
Not all shopping comparison sites have an extensive range of retailers. For example, in some product categories there may only be a few retailers. Some sites even belong to another comparison site. For instance, Shopping.com has a network of partner sites that includes DoorOne, Yahoo! 7 Shopping and ninemsn shopping — so they’re likely to feature many of the same retailers.
- If you’re shopping online, check that there’s a local telephone number and physical address in case you need to contact the company.
- Only use secure payment sites that feature a padlock symbol or have https in the address bar.
We’ve compiled a list of Australian shopping comparison sites so you can try them for yourself. These websites feature a range of products such as electrical, computers, home appliances and sporting equipment. We haven’t rated the services — they’re listed in alphabetical order.
is a free service for members to find the best price for major laundry, kitchen, computers, cameras, lawnmowers, tyres, cars and home entertainment appliances. You'll need your subscriber number and the model name and number.
Contact CHOICE Shopper by phone on 1300 360 655.
You'll receive the best available price from a list of suppliers and the retailer's details so you can buy the item.