Are you pushed for time when it comes to preparing dinner? If you've recently purchased a slow cooker, you would be well aware of it's time-saving benefits. If you're looking for some inspiration on ways to use your slow cooker, here is the perfect recipe. With a small amount of preparation in the morning, you can come home to a deliciously hearty home-cooked corned beef that the whole family will be sure to enjoy.
For a 5 – 7 litre capacity slow cooker
2kg corned silverside, fat remove
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
2 tabs brown sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 litre water
- Place silverside into the slow cooker with water. Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
- Remove corned beef from liquid, discard liquid.
Stove top cooking (alternative to slow cooker)
Serving suggestions and tips
- Serve with buttered potatoes, braised cabbage and parsley sauce.
- Slice meat thinly.
- Wrap unsliced portions in aluminium foil keep in refrigerator for up to a week.
- Serve hot or cold, great on sandwiches with pickles and mustard.
- Other flavours can be added during cooking such as star anise, cloves and ginger.