30 September 2016
Consumer group CHOICE is warning consumers about the dangers of All 4 Bubs Lunar cots, sold for $449 through eBay and direct through the retailer.
A CHOICE test has found the cot fails to meet the minimum safety standards in several key safety areas including strength and stability as well as posing a head and neck entrapment hazard. There are also no safety or informative markings.
"This is quite possibly one of the worst cots we have ever seen. We strongly urge any consumer who has purchased this cot to stop using it immediately and seek a refund," says CHOICE Head of Media, Tom Godfrey.
CHOICE referred the test findings to the ACCC who have issued a recall notice.
"We welcome the swift action by the regulator, this latest failure reinforces the need to review the mandatory Australian Standard for cots and mattresses and beef up the fines for companies that put infants at risk," Mr Godfrey says.
"Whether it's dodgy cots or flimsy mattresses, kids' safety has to be the priority. It's clear a number of companies are putting profit first."
The CHOICE test found the All 4 Bubs Lunar cot had the following failures:
- The ends of the filler bars can be pulled out of their sockets in the top and bottom rails.
- During the strength test, the filler bars detached from the top and bottom rails, causing a fall risk. The rubber pieces at the tips of the filler bars were detachable and small enough to cause a choking hazard.
- Head and neck entrapment hazard.
- The sample failed the stability test and the castors lifted off the floor.
- The instructions are not clear and complete and there is no information on the external packaging.
- Major safety failure: There are no safety or informative markings on the cot.
Further details on the All 4 Bubs Lunar cot test can be found in CHOICE's latest cot review.
Tom Godfrey, CHOICE, Head of Media and Spokesperson: 0430 172 669
Set up by consumers for consumers, CHOICE is the consumer advocate that provides Australians with information and advice, free from commercial bias. As vital today as when we were founded in 1959, CHOICE continues to fight for consumers and uncover the truth. By mobilising Australia's largest and loudest consumer movement, CHOICE fights to hold industry and government accountable and achieve real change on the issues that matter most.