Nectr sells electricity to over 24,000 homes. It's certified carbon neutral, is investing in renewable energy infrastructure, and offers plans that are either 100% carbon neutral/offset or 100% GreenPower.
Nectr is a relatively new energy retailer established in 2019. It operates in New South Wales, South East Queensland, South Australia and the ACT, and also applied for a licence to sell electricity in Victoria in early 2022. This is currently being reviewed.
Nectr is a foreign-owned company backed by Hanwha Energy, which is part of the Hanwha Group based in South Korea. The Hanwha group has interests in aerospace, chemicals, finance, service and leisure, and solar energy
The energy branch of Hanwha is building two large solar farms in Australia, which it claims will generate enough power for 65,000 homes. It also supports Virtual Power Plant partnerships. This is essentially a cloud-based power management system that allows small storage systems to communicate as a single entity.
Its local offices and call centre are in North Sydney, New South Wales.
Contact details for Nectr
- 1300 111 211
- Nectr is certified carbon neutral and climate active.
- It offers some 100% renewable/carbon offset electricity plans, solar tariff plans, and solar and battery bundles to customers.
- Nectr also offers GreenPower plans (excluding South Australia).
- Its parent company Hanwah is investing in renewable energy by building two large solar farms in Australia.
- Though it's largely committed to ending coal use by 2030, Nectr still buys some energy from the open market, where coal dominates.
- 125 (0.5%) of Nectr's customers lodged complaints against the company in 2021–22.
- 29% of calls made to Nectr are answered within 30 seconds.
- The average wait time for a call is 256 seconds.
- 27.3% of callers hang up before their call is answered according to 2021–22 AER customer service data. This is worse than their 2020–21 performance where 9.8% of customers hung up.
Stock images: Getty, unless otherwise stated.