We review 17 handheld mixers, priced from $15 to $139.
Through our rigorous testing, we reveal which mixers:
- perform the best at whisking
- perform the best at mixing, and
- are the easiest to use.
On this page:
If you whisk egg whites, whip cream or make cake batters then a handheld mixer is a handy appliance to have in your kitchen. They’re compact, have minimal accessories and are easy to store.
Some even come with dough hooks, but while they can combine the ingredients they lack the grunt to knead the dough. We didn't test to see how well they can handle a pizza dough as they all received poor results in our last test. If you want an appliance that does this see our review of benchtop mixers.
CHOICE's experts independently test a wide range of products and services to bring you unbiased reviews, product comparison tools and buying advice that is trusted by 140,000+ members.
Get access to all
Most handheld mixers can stand upright so if you’ve prepared the ingredients all you’ll need to do is stop the mixer to add them as required. They’re easy to manoeuvre around all parts of the bowl to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
The handheld mixers we've tested range in price from $15 to $139 and while the most expensive model came out on top, price doesn’t necessarily guarantee a superior product, as even the cheaper models get the job done well. Cheaper mixers can still be a good option if you plan to use one only occasionally.
We also included two compact benchtop mixers that detach to become a handheld mixer – the Breville EM6 and Sunbeam Mixmaster Compact MX5900.
For more information on Benchtop appliances, see Kitchen.
Brands and models tested
- #Abode Abode Hand Mixer (707D)
- #Bodum Bistro Electric Hand Mixer 11151
- Breville EM3
- #Breville EM6 Wizz Mix Plus
- Breville Wizz digital mix hand mixer BHM500
- #Cuisinart HM-90BCSA Power Advantage plus
- Cuisinart Powerselect 5-speed hand mixer CHM-5SSA
- #GVA Hand mixer GVA 2620E
- Kambrook KHM10
- Kenwood HM330 Hand mixer
- Kenwood HM791
- #KitchenAid 7 Speed Hand Mixer KHM720
- Sunbeam JM3200
- #Sunbeam Beatermix JM3250
- Sunbeam Beatermix pro JM5900
- #Sunbeam Mixmaster Compact MX5900
- Tiffany HM504
# Newly tested models
How we test
Performance Our Home Economist, Fiona Mair, conducted the following two tests which were weighted equally to calculate the overall performance score.
Ease of use
- Whisking She uses the beaters to whisk egg whites to form stiff peaks. Where supplied, she also uses the wire whisk.
- Mixing The beaters are used again to assess how well the handheld mixers combine dry and wet ingredients, to form an even and smooth cake mix.
Fiona assesses the handheld mixers for how easy they are to use the controls and read the labelling, inserting and removing mixing tools, standing the mixer during preparation as well as cleaning parts and the main unit and storage. She also looks at their general comfort taking into consideration, balance and control, hand grip and strain on the wrist during operation.
Get access to our independent testing reports and save yourself time and money.