01.Homemade Meat Pie
Ingredients (makes 12 single serve pies)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
1kg lean beef mince
1 bay leaf
600ml beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup red wine (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoons fresh thyme
3 tablespoons cornflour, made into a paste with cold water
4 sheets frozen, ready-rolled 25% reduced-fat shortcrust pastry, thawed
3 sheets frozen, 25% reduced-fat puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan forced or 220°C conventional oven. Cooking mode for multi functional ovens: top and bottom element plus fan or fan forced.
- Grease 8 x 11cm diameter pie pans (makes 12) or a 12 cup large muffin pan or place cut out pastry onto a greased baking tray. (makes 18).
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add mince. Cook until browned.
- Add bay leaf, stock, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, red wine, salt and pepper and thyme, bring to the boil reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour with lid on.
- Pour cornflour paste into meat mixture, stir until mixture thickens, remove from heat and cool.
- For the base cut out shortcrust pastry to the desired shape of the baking dish (cut out pastry 3cm larger in diameter than the pie pan diameter for the overhang) Press into pie pan.
- Fill with 3 tablespoons of mince. Brush rims with egg.
- Cut pastry top from the puff pastry (use the diameter of the pie pans to cut around). Place over meat. Press to seal, trim.
- Brush pastry with egg.
- Place individual pies onto a tray before putting them in the oven. Or place the muffin pan into the oven.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
Left over meat filling can be frozen for later use
Pies can be made up and frozen uncooked