TUH Health Fund summary
TUH Health Fund was founded in 1972 by the Queensland Teachers' Union. It is open to all past and present members of a union and their family members, and counts teachers, nurses, firefighters and government employees amongst its members. TUH is part of Members Own Health Funds, an alliance of nonprofit and mutual health funds that promotes the benefits of funds that reward members rather than investors or overseas owners.
Phone:1300 360 701
Current or former members of any Australian union.
For further details see their website.
TUH Health Fund complaints rating: Medium
When we score policies we give each fund a complaints rating, based on the number of complaints and serious disputes the Ombudsman deals with. We take into account the size of the fund, so big funds don't get automatically penalised for having more complaints.
- The ratings are Low, Medium and High. A Low rating is better than a High rating – it means the fund has fewer complaints and fewer serious disputes for its size.
A medical gap is the difference between Medicare's recommended fee and what your doctor actually charges for a treatment or service.
Health funds have agreements with particular doctors and hospitals to cover all of the gap, which are called 'no gap agreements', or part of that gap, which are called 'known gap agreements' (these will have lower out-of-pocket costs, usually less than $500).
Our graphic below displays the CHOICE gap rating, which takes into account the percentage of services where members either paid no gap or a known gap, compared to the state average.
- Above average
- Below average
- Well below average
We also display the percentage of medical services that TUH Health Fund covers with no gap, and compare it to the industry average. The higher the percentage, the more effective the fund's gap scheme is in a state or territory.
How many hospital agreements does TUH Health Fund have in my state?
The benefit amount your fund pays you for hospital services depends not only on the type of cover you buy, but also whether your fund has an agreement with the hospital where you're treated.
The table below shows how many hospital agreements TUH Health Fund has in your state compared to the fund with the highest number (the industry maximum). Note that public hospitals don't have agreements with specific funds and are generally treated as though they're agreement hospitals.
Discount for direct debit: 1.5%
Discount for annual prepay: 0%
Total discount for annual prepay via direct debit: 1.5%
*Member can prepay for a maximum of 6 months only
All TUH Health Fund extras, hospital and combined policies cover emergency ambulance in NSW and ACT.
In Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory, cover is included in extras policies, so you're covered if you select an extras or combined policy.
Do you need ambulance cover?
Depending on where you live, you may not need a policy with ambulance cover.
- In Queensland or Tasmania, emergency ambulance services are covered by your state government.
- In NSW and the ACT, all hospital policies come with emergency ambulance cover – so you'll be covered with any hospital or combined policy you select.
- In South Australia, Victoria and the Northern Territory you can buy emergency ambulance cover directly from the ambulance service. Alternatively, some health fund policies will cover ambulance in your state or territory or refund at least part of the cost of the ambulance service cover.
- Rural WA: You can buy emergency ambulance cover directly from the ambulance service. Alternatively, some health fund policies will cover ambulance or refund at least part of the cost of the ambulance service cover.
- Metropolitan WA: If you want to be covered for ambulance you need to buy a health insurance policy with ambulance cover.
Yes, adult children are covered up to age 21 and up to age 25 if not living with a partner and in full-time study. Non-students can be covered by extended dependent cover up to age 25 on all hospital and combined policies except Young Choice and Total Care Hospital.
Can claim online and via an app (iOS and Android) for extras services.