Doctors' Health Fund was established in 1977 to provide health insurance for healthcare professionals and their families.
This fund is for people who are:
- a registered medical or health practitioner
- studying to become a medical or health practitioner
- an overseas qualified doctor registered for AMC exams
- an employee of a medical or health practitioner
- employed in any role by a federal or state Australian Medical Association
- employed in any role by an association whose members are medical or health practitioners
- an officer or employee of Avant Insurance Limited or Avant Law Pty Ltd
- the family members of those mentioned above.
Doctors' Health Fund is part of Members Health, an alliance of nonprofit and mutual health funds. While it isn't a nonprofit fund itself, it's owned by Avant, which is a mutual nonprofit insurer.<
Phone: 1800 226 126
Doctors' Health Fund has a Low complaints rating.
When we score policies we give each fund a complaints rating, based on the number of complaints and serious disputes the Ombudsman deals with. We take into account the size of the fund, so big funds don't get automatically penalised for having more complaints. The ratings are Low, Medium and High. A Low rating is better than a High rating – it means the fund has fewer complaints and fewer serious disputes for its size.
A medical gap is the difference between Medicare's recommended fee and what your doctor actually charges for a treatment or service.
Health funds have agreements with particular doctors and hospitals to cover all of the gap, which are called 'no gap agreements', or part of that gap, which are called 'known gap agreements' (these will have lower out-of-pocket costs, usually less than $500).
Our graphic below displays the CHOICE gap rating, which takes into account the percentage of services where members either paid no gap or a known gap, compared to the state average.
- Well above average
- Above average
- Below average
- Well below average
The benefit amount your fund pays you for hospital services depends not only on the type of cover you buy, but also whether your fund has an agreement with the hospital where you're treated.
The table below shows how many hospital agreements Doctors' Health Fund has in your state compared to the fund with the highest number (the industry maximum). Note that public hospitals don't have agreements with specific funds and are generally treated as though they're agreement hospitals.
Discount for direct debit: None
Discount for annual prepay: 2.5%
Youth discounts: These are offered on some Bronze Plus and Gold policies and are transferable (which means you can transfer a discount from another fund to one of these policies).
All Doctors' Health Fund extras, hospital and combined policies have emergency ambulance cover.
- Adult children are covered on family policies for free until they turn 21.
- Full-time students are covered on family policies for free until they turn 32.
- Adult children younger than 32 can be covered on extended family policies for an extra cost.
You can claim online or via an app (iOS and Android) for all services.
Stock images: Getty, unless otherwise stated.