In light of recent major data breaches affecting millions of people, the case for strengthening Australia's privacy laws and regulatory enforcement powers has never been clearer.
CHOICE has made a submission to the Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee endorsing the passage of the Privacy Legislation Amendment (Enforcement and Other Measures) Bill 2022.
This reform to Australia's privacy laws will empower privacy regulators to protect people from data misuse.
Specifically, CHOICE strongly supports the following proposals:
- Increase penalties for businesses that breach the Privacy Act
- Expand the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner's extraterritorial reach
- Empower the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner to issue infringement notices
- Strengthen the Notifiable Data Breach scheme
Also, while not within the scope of this inquiry or submission, CHOICE is strongly supportive of broader reforms to strengthen Australia's privacy laws and regulatory capabilities in the interest of consumers.
Download submission (PDF)
- Submission to the Attorney-General's Department on the Review of the Privacy Act
- Millions impacted as Medibank data breach fallout grows
- How cashback sites use your data
- Join the campaign for fair data use
Stock images: Getty, unless otherwise stated.