Here we have test results for 33 slow cookers priced between $29 and $200.
Our testing reveals which models:
- perform well on low and high settings, without drying out your dinner
- are easiest to use.
On this page, you'll find:
Do I need a slow cooker?
If you have a busy lifestyle, investing in a slow cooker has its advantages. Cooking a meal is as easy as preparing the ingredients in the morning, adding the required liquid, setting the temperature - and then forgetting about it. The appliance cooks the meal at a relatively low temperature while you're busy elsewhere, and it’s designed to cook safely while unattended. At the end of the day, your dinner is ready.
Slow cookers work well with relatively inexpensive cuts of meat, such as stewing beef, shank or blade, which won’t dry out during the long hours required for cooking. Slow cookers are also perfect for stews, soups, casseroles and other winter warmers. And in summer they’ll cook a pot roast or one-pot meal without heating up your kitchen like an oven.
One of the cheapest models ranks in our What to Buy list. It doesn't have the impressive features of the more expensive models but this basic slow cooker gets the job done.
Searing slow cookers
For minimal cleaning up, consider models that allow you to sear ingredients using the slow cooker’s inner pan on the stovetop, or directly in the slow cooker. See our compare table for which ones have this nifty function.
Stuck for some delicious slow cooker recipes? See Cook's CHOICE to try our recipes such as slow cooked chili shredded beef, corned beef, or Osso Bucco.
CHOICE's experts independently test a wide range of products and services to bring you unbiased reviews, product comparison tools and buying advice that is trusted by 160,000+ members.
Get access to all
*Billed quarterly as $23.95
Brands and models tested
• Breville The Flavour Maker BSC500
• Breville The flavour Maker BSC560
• Breville The Smart Temp Programmable with Temperature IQ BSC420
• Crock-Pot HP1350 Slow Cooker
• Crock-Pot The Original Slow Cooker HP1550
• Cuisinart Brushed stainless Programmable Slow Cooker PSC-650A
• Cuisinart Programmable Slow Cooker PSC-400A
• George Foreman GFSC35
• George Foreman Slow Cooker GFSC60BLK
• Kambrook Essentials Slow Cooker KSC320
• # Kambrook KMC200
• # Kambrook KSC120
• # Kambrook KSC360
• # Kambrook KSC450
• Kambrook Stainless Slow Cooker KSC110
• Kambrook Super Sear Slow Cooker KSC700
• Kenwood Multi Cooker CP657
• # Maxim NSC-35OSS
• # Maxim NSC-5OSS
• Morphy Richards Flavour Savour 48787
• Morphy Richards Healthy Living Digital Slow Cooker 48730
• Russell Hobbs RHSC600
• # Russell Hobbs Searing Slow Cooker RHSC650
• Russell Hobbs Slow Cooker 4443BSS
• Sunbeam Electronic Slow Cooker HP5590
• Sunbeam SecretChef Banquet Slow Cooker HP6000
• Sunbeam SecretChef Slow Cooker HP5520
• Sunbeam SecretChef™ Electronic Sear and Slow Cooker HP8555
• Sunbeam Slow Cooker HP4520
• Target Essentials Slow Cooker TESSC60
• Tefal Slow Cooker
• Tiffany Slow Cooker SC30W
• Tiffany Slow cooker SC65SS
# Newly tested models.
• Abode SCO-55
• Breville BSC300 the Cook Me Tender
• Homemaker 5L Slow Cooker
How we test
Cooking performance Our home economist, Fiona Mair, assesses each slow cooker by cooking corned beef on the low setting and chilli shredded beef on the high setting:
- The corned beef test, with standard-sized pieces of corned silverside, serves to check the cooker’s ability to cook a dish at a low temperature over an extended period of time (eight hours).
- The chilli shredded beef test (with dried beans) establishes how well each cooker can cook a dish at high temperatures over a shorter time (five hours) without it sticking to the bottom.
Fiona assesses how well the dishes look and taste and scores are awarded for appearance and texture, with deductions for dark or dried-out areas, overcooked texture or chilli shredded beef sticking to the pot.
Ease of use Fiona assesses how easy the cookers are to assemble, store and clean. She also considers the external temperature of the cooker surface, handles and controls during operation.
Get access to our independent testing reports and save yourself time and money.