Here we have test results for 35 slow cookers priced between $25 and $200.
Our testing reveals which models:
- perform well on low and high settings, without drying out your dinner
- are easiest to use.
On this page, you'll find:
Do I need a slow cooker?
If you have a busy lifestyle, investing in a slow cooker has its advantages. Cooking a meal is as easy as preparing the ingredients in the morning, adding the required liquid, setting the temperature - and then forgetting about it. The appliance cooks the meal at a relatively low temperature while you're busy elsewhere, and it’s designed to cook safely while unattended. At the end of the day, your dinner is ready.
Slow cookers work well with relatively inexpensive cuts of meat, such as stewing beef, shank or blade, which won’t dry out during the long hours required for cooking. Slow cookers are also perfect for stews, soups, casseroles and other winter warmers. And in summer they’ll cook a pot roast or one-pot meal without heating up your kitchen like an oven.
One of the cheapest models ranks in our What to Buy list. It doesn't have the impressive features of the more expensive models but this basic slow cooker gets the job done.
Searing slow cookers
In previous reviews we've tested models which allow you to sear the meat on the stovetop without needing to use another pan. The Breville ikon BSC560 features an inner pan that allows you to sear the meat on the stovetop without needing to use another pan. The Sunbeam SecretChef Electronic Sear and Slow Cooker HP8555 goes one step further - it can sear in the slow cooker without the need for the stovetop. In our most recent test the Morphy Richards 48787 and Kambrook KSC700 also have this impressive feature.
Here you can find tips from our home economist on how to get the best results from a slow cooker.
Also, check our Cook's CHOICE recipe for corned beef, perfect for your slow cooker.
CHOICE's experts independently test a wide range of products and services to bring you unbiased reviews, product comparison tools and buying advice that is trusted by 160,000+ members.
Get access to all
*Billed quarterly as $22.95
Brands and models tested
- Abode SCO-55
- Belle SC55
- Breville Banquet BSC400B
- Breville BSC300
- Breville ikon BSC560
- Breville The Flavour Maker BSC500
- # Breville The Smart Temp 6L Programmable Slow Cooker with Temperature IQ BSC420
- Crock-Pot HP1550
- # Crock-pot HP1350 3.5L Slow Cooker
- Cuisinart Brushed stainless Programmable Slow Cooker - 6.5L PSC-650A
- # Cuisinart Programmable Slow Cooker PSC-400A
- George Foreman GFSC35
- George Foreman 6L Slow Cooker GFSC60BLK
- Homemaker 5L Slow Cooker
- Kambrook KSC110
- # Kambrook Essentials Slow Cooker KSC320
- # Kambrook Super Sear Slow Cooker KSC700
- Kenwood CP657
- Maxim KitchenPro SCS-5
- Morphy Richards 48715
- Morphy Richards Healthy Living Digital Slow Cooker 48730
- # Morphy Richards Flavour Savour Slow Cooker 48787
- Ronson Banquet RSC550
- Russell Hobbs Abbey Lane RHG802
- Russell Hobbs RHSC600
- Russell Hobbs 3.5L Slow Cooker 4443BSS
- # Sunbeam Secret Chef Banquet Slow Cooker HP6000
- Sunbeam SecretChef Electronic Sear and Slow Cooker HP8555
- Sunbeam SecretChef Slow Cooker 5.5L HP5520
- # Sunbeam Slow Cooker HP4520
- Sunbeam HP5590
- # Target Essentials Slow Cooker TESSC60
- Tefal Slow Cooker
- Tiffany SC65SS
- # Tiffany SC30W 3L Slow Cooker
# Newly tested models.
How we test
Cooking performance Our home economist, Fiona Mair, assesses each slow cooker by cooking corned beef on the low setting and chilli shredded beef on the high setting:
- The corned beef test, with standard-sized pieces of corned silverside, serves to check the cooker’s ability to cook a dish at a low temperature over an extended period of time (eight hours).
- The chilli shredded beef test (with dried beans) establishes how well each cooker can cook a dish at high temperatures over a shorter time (five hours) without it sticking to the bottom.
Fiona assesses how well the dishes look and taste and scores are awarded for appearance and texture, with deductions for dark or dried-out areas, overcooked texture or chilli shredded beef sticking to the pot.
Ease of use
Fiona assesses how easy the cookers are to assemble, store and clean. She also considers the external temperature of the cooker surface, handles and controls during operation.
For more information on kitchen appliances or for reviews of ovens and cooktops, see our Kitchen section.
Get access to our independent testing reports and save yourself time and money.