Ingredients (makes 12 single serve pies)
• 1 tablespoon (tbsp) olive oil
• 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic
• 1kg lean beef mince
• 1 bay leaf
• 600ml beef stock
• 2 tbsp tomato paste
• 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• ¼ cup red wine (optional)
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tbsp fresh thyme
• 3 tbsp cornflour, made into a paste with cold water
• 4 sheets frozen, ready-rolled 25% reduced-fat shortcrust pastry, thawed
• 3 sheets frozen, 25% reduced-fat puff pastry, thawed
• 1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 220°C, using the top and bottom element as well as the fan.
2. Grease 12 pie pans (8cm x 11cm diameter) or a 12-cup large muffin pan.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for three minutes or until soft.
4. Add mince and cook until browned.
5. Add bay leaf, stock, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, red wine, salt and pepper and thyme. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour with the lid on.
6. Pour cornflour paste into meat mixture, stir until mixture thickens, remove from heat and cool.
7. For the base, cut out shortcrust pastry to the desired shape of the baking dish (cut out pastry 3cm larger in diameter than the pie pan diameter for the overhang). Press into pie pan. Fill with 3 tablespoons of mince. Brush rims with egg.
8. Cut pastry top from the puff pastry (use the diameter of the pie pans to cut around). Place over meat. Press to seal. Trim. Brush with egg.
9. Place pies onto hot tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden.