User trial of 17 brands of moisturising tanning lotions
As the last vestiges of winter creep away it’s time to pack up your winter woollies and get into summer clothes. But months of hibernating in front of the heater have left you pasty pale with skin like a crocodile.
It’s a given you’ll want to moisturise your dry skin, but what about the lack of colour? While the dangers of sunbaking are well known, the appeal of a tan is still strong for many. A fake tan is the safest option, but professional tans are expensive and time-consuming, while self tanners can be messy, difficult to apply and are often smelly.
What if there was a product that promised to moisturise as well as give you a subtle colour all from one bottle? Sounds perfect, but does it do the job?
Please note: this information was current as of September 2008 but is still a useful guide today.
- Brands trialledBiotherm Summer Source Medium Skin Tone
- David Jones Gradual Tan Lotion
- Dove Summer Glow Fair to Normal Skin
- Ella Bache Great Sunkiss
- Estee Lauder Body Performance Golden Naturally Radiant
- Face of Australia Sun Kissed SPF 15
- Garnier Skin Naturals Bodysummer
- Guardian Gradual Tanning Moisturiser
- Health Basics Summer Radiance
- Johnson’s Holiday Skin Normal to Fair Skin
- Lancôme Paris Sensuelle Summer
- Le Tan Daily Glow SPF 15 Fair to Normal Skin
- L’Oreal Paris Body-Expertise Nutrisummer Fair Skin
- Natio Aromatherapy Sun-kissed Glow
- Nivea Body Sunkissed Skin Fair to Medium Skin
- Olay Complete Touch of Sun Light Sun-kissed Glow
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Natural Bronze
CHOICE tests are different. We buy the products we test — no freebies from manufacturers. Companies can't buy ads on our site and our work is funded by people like you.
Get access to our independent testing reports and save yourself time and money.