User trial of 26 moisturisers with sunscreen priced from $5.40 to $175 per 50mL or 50g
We arranged for 280 home testers to triall the moisturisers. Participants were given six unidentified moisturisers, which they used for three days consecutively.
We asked our home testers to assess:
- If the moisturisers kept their skin from drying out.
- The ease of absorption.
- The feel of their skin after three days of use.
- The strength and appeal of the fragrance of the moisturiser.
- The appeal of the texture of the moisturiser.
- Whether they noticed any skin or eye irritation caused by the moisturiser.
CHOICE tests are different. We buy the products we test — no freebies from manufacturers. Companies can't buy ads on our site and our work is funded by people like you.
- Moisturisers with sunscreen can help prevent UV damage when you’re out and about, especially when you might not normally wear sunscreen because the sun feels less strong.
- Unless they’re applied properly, they’re no substitute for a primary sunscreen.
- There was no significant correlation between price and overall rating, so paying more for a prestige brand and glamorous packaging won’t mean you’ll be any happier with the moisturiser.
- None of the six products with an SPF higher than 15 were among the top three.
- The highest-rating brand with an SPF of 30+ (Cancer Council Moisturising Face Cream) came in equal-sixth place
Please note: this information was current as of September 2007 but is still a useful guide today.
- L’Oréal Paris Visible Results Daily Skin Perfecting Moisturiser
- Dove Essential Nutrients Protective Day Cream
- Garnier Nutritionist Regenerating Daily Moisturiser
- Estée Lauder DayWear Plus Multi-Protection Anti-Oxidant Creme
- RoC Hydra+ Multi-Protection Hydrating Fluid
- Lancôme Bienfait Multi-Vital High Potency Moisturiser Cream
- The Cancer Council Moisturising Face Cream
- Blooms The Chemist Total-E Cream
- The Body Shop Vitamin E Facial Day Cream
- Clinique Superdefense Triple Action Moisturiser
- Johnsons Daily Facial Moisturiser
- Natio Daily Protection Face Moisturiser
- Olay Complete Defense Daily UV Moisturising Lotion
- Elizabeth Arden First Defense Advanced Anti-Oxidant Cream
- David Jones Vitamin E Protective Lotion
- Dior HydrAction Visible Defense Hydra-Protective Light Creme
- SK-II Advanced Protect Essence
- Yves Saint Laurent HydraFeel Soft Hydrating Water Lotion
- Nivea Visage Optimal Protection Daily Moisturiser
- Clarins Moisture Quenching Hydra-Care Lotion
- Simple Regeneration Defending Day Moisturiser
- Occitane Olive Daily Face Cream
- True Solutions Total Age Protector
- Dermalogica Sheer Moisture
- Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture
- Ultraceuticals Professional Protective Daily Moisturiser
What else you'll get in this report
As well as test results for 26 brands you'll also get:
- Invaluable buying information: practical advice and tips. Read before you buy!
- CHOICE Shopper: Buy a membership and get this exclusive members service that can save you time and money on your purchase.