09.Checklist and more info
Checklist: picking an agent
When choosing an agent, make sure they provide you with the following:
- Evidence of success in your area.
- A market value assessment that appears accurate, when compared to your research, and perhaps an independent valuation as well.
- A signed market value estimate or even a price guarantee.
- A marketing plan.
- Advice about steps you can take to make your property more attractive to buyers.
- A commitment to provide you with regular reports and updates.
Each state government’s fair trading authority provides free advice to home sellers and buyers, or links to this information.
Agents and their professional associations are worth a look too. For example, the Real Estate Institute of Australia has tips for sellers and links to state and territory associations.