Here we have test results for 30 toasters, including 18 four-slice and 12 two-slice models, priced from $20 to $399.
Our rigorous testing reveals which models:
- Brown toast evenly and consistently
- Are easy to use
On this page, you'll find:
When it comes to choosing which toaster to buy, your final decision comes down to: two- or four-slice, long slot versus side-by-side, the controls and whether you like its looks.
CHOICE's experts independently test a wide range of products and services to bring you unbiased reviews, product comparison tools and buying advice that is trusted by 160,000+ members.
Get access to all
*Billed quarterly as $22.95
- #Breville BTA425
- Breville Emporia CT25B
- #Circulon 566990-C
- #Cuisinart CPT-220TNA
- #DeLonghi Icona CTO2003
- #Kambrook Essentials KT50
- #Kenwood kMix TTM020A
- #Magimix Vision 11528AU
- #Russell Hobbs Seville T2707SAU
- #Sunbeam Retro TA5200
- Sunbeam TA6220 Toastum 2
- #Tiffany Cool Touch TAT47
- Breville Freestyle BT905
- Breville ikon BTA550
- Breville Professional 800 Collection BTA840
- #Breville The Smart Toast BTA830
- #Cuisinart CPT-240TNA
- #DeLonghi Icona CTO4003
- Kambrook Essentials 4-slice KT60
- #Kambrook Profile KT450
- #Kitchen Aid 5AKMT423ER0
- #Morphy Richards Accents 44737
- #Raco Deco 53662-C
- Russell Hobbs Satin Four Slice 9476
- #Russell Hobbs Silhouette 20640
- Sunbeam Café Series TA9400
- Sunbeam Quantum 4 TA3420
- Sunbeam Quantum Thick & Thin 4 TA4400
- Sunbeam Toastum 4 TA6420
- #Tefal Avanti Icon TF561EAU
# Newly tested.
Our tester, Peter Horvath, uses fresh white bread to conduct all the performance tests.
- Browning He first determines the optimum browning setting, and then completes four toasting cycles with 30 seconds between each run. He assesses the evenness across the face of each slice, consistency between runs, evenness of colour of each slice and the average toast colour.
Single slice He observes if the toaster can brown a single slice of bread to the desired level of brownness.
Frozen bread He uses bread slices directly out of the freezer and completes two toasting cycles, with 30 seconds between each run, and again assesses the evenness and consistency between runs.
Ease of use He assesses how easy the controls are to use, specifically reading and adjusting the browning control. He also looks at ease of cleaning the exterior surfaces and crumb removal.
Safety All toasters passed our electrical safety test.
For more information on benchtop appliances see, Kitchen.
Get access to our independent testing reports and save yourself time and money.