See our latest shampoo trial 2010.
User 'blind test' of 41 shampoos from $1.50 to $60
We trialled popular shampoos in unmarked bottles for:
- Overall performance
- Clean-feel performance
CHOICE tests are different. We buy the products we test — no freebies from manufacturers. Companies can't buy ads on our site and our work is funded by people like you.
Please note: this information was current as of June 2006 but is still a useful guide today.
- The three brands most preferred by our trialists were supermarket ‘cheapies’, which stacked up better than some of the pricier, more prestigious salon brands.
- Two brands tied for 3rd place - one costs $11 per 100mls, the other 0.84c.
- Over 500 CHOICE Home Testers (80% women and 20% men) each tried out four different shampoos marketed as being suitable for ‘normal’ hair or everyday use.
- In total, our trialists blind-tested 41 shampoos.
- Find out how your shampoo rates.
- ALBERTO V05
- CHARLES WORTHINGTON
- CRABTREE & EVELYN
- DAVID JONES
- LABORATOIRES KLORANE
- MOLTON BROWN
- NATURES ESSENCE
- NO FRILLS
- PAUL MITCHELL
- SO SALON ONLY
- THE BODY SHOP
- THURSDAY PLANTATION
- WELLA BALSAM
- YOU'LL LOVE COLES
What else you'll get in this report
As well as the trialists' ratings of 41 shampoos you'll also get:
- Facts and myths about shampoo.
- An explanation of shampoo ingredients.