Test of 13 carpet spot cleaners
We put the carpet spot cleaners to the test on two different types of cream-coloured carpet: nylon cut pile and wool sisal. Each carpet cleaner was tested for its effectiveness at removing red wine, diluted raspberry cordial, coffee and shoe polish.
We wanted to replicate how consumers actually use carpet cleaners in their home and often when disasters occur, there’s no specialised carpet cleaner on hand to do the job. So in one round of testing, the cleaners were applied straight away and in another, testers left the stain to sink in for 24 hours and then applied the cleaner.
Testers rated each product for:
- Cleaning effectiveness.
- Gentleness/damage to carpet.
- Stain resistance after resoiling.
Please note: this information was current as of September 2007 but is still a useful guide to today's market.
- Bissell Homecare P.O.D. Portable Oxy Deep Cleaner
- Cavalier Bremworth Carpets Carpet Stain Remover
- Citro Clean Multi-purpose Cleaner
- De-Solv-it Sticky Spot and Stain Remover Natural Citrus Base
- Glitz Carpet Stain Remover
- Karpet Stain Removing Powder
- Long Life Carpet Cleaner
- Orange Power Carpet & upholstery spot cleaner
- OzKleen Carpet Power
- Preen For Carpets OxyAction
- Preen For Carpets Powershot
- Scotchgard Oxy Carpet Cleaner Plus Stain Protector
- Spot Shot Instant Carpet Stain Remover
- It’s a good idea to have a carpet spot cleaner in the cupboard because the sooner you treat a mark, the less likely it is to stain.
- In general, these cleaners are more effective on nylon carpets.
- Some varieties contain bleach and may irreparably discolour darker coloured carpet.
For more tips on how to keep your carpet looking brand new, visit our carpet cleaning article.