Full results for all models are shown in the table below
|Brand / model (in alphabetical order
|GHD IV Styler ghd 4.1B (A)
|Diva Hair Straightener THLC 05
|VS Sassoon Premiere Series Total Freedom 230
Cord/Cordless VSP2099A (B)
|VS Sassoon Pro 230°C Straightener VS2075MPA
|Philips TREsemmé SalonShine Elite HP4669/07
|Wahl Cutek Ceramic/ZA105
|Joh Bailey Professional Ceramic Travel
Straightener JBS75 (C)
|Maxim Professional Straightener
|Tiffany Pro Series Digital Hair Straightener
|Living Essentials by Mistral Ceramic Hair
(A) Currently being replaced by a new model, 4.2B.
(B) Recommended for use on mid-length to long hair, which we took into account in the trial. The rest are suitable for use on all types of hair of various lengths.
(C) Soon to be replaced by a new model.
Rating categories (excellent, very good, etc)
After using each straightener in the morning, trialists evaluated it for:
- Straightening performance (immediate effect; smoothness through hair; number of applications required to straighten a given section of hair; and whether the plates were hot enough).
- User friendliness (overall ease of use; heat-up time; handling and manoeuvrability).
- At the end of each day, they also rated the straightener overall and indicated how long the result lasted.
Price Recommended retail, as of December 2007, rounded to the nearest dollar.
How we tested
Fifteen volunteers, all experienced in using a hair straightener, trialled them over five weeks, each using two straighteners per week.
- Trialists used the straighteners in the morning (so they could determine how long the effect lasted throughout the day) on clean, dry and tangle-free hair. They were asked to follow the instructions and user guides provided by the manufacturers.
- We recorded daily relative humidity throughout the trial to check whether it significantly affected trialists’ evaluations of the straighteners. (It didn’t.)
- The test CHOICE’s lab measured how long each straightener's plates took to heat up from room temperature to 150°C and 200°C, or the hottest they could manage after 15 minutes, if 200°C wasn’t reached.