How we test
Testers rate the following aspects of each phone:
Ease of use as a music player A user panel determines how easy it is to access the phone as a music player.
Our testers assess the Volume settings, whether the controls are easy to use, as well as access to the song playlists and general navigation controls when working in music mode.
Music transfer is assessed for file transfer performance when moving music from a PC to the phone.
Sound quality Our testers carry out a number of acoustic measurements, such as frequency response. In addition, a user panel subjectively rates the sound quality of calls.
Ergonomics Our testers assess the keypad as well as general handling and menu controls when using the phone.
Display score Our testers look at the size of the display as well as quality of the image with regard to sharpness and colour clarity.
SMS use is examined by writing and receiving an SMS and checking the suitability of the display for texting.
Sensitivity Our testers measure the phones’ receiving sensitivity and sending power (particularly important in areas with poor network coverage) in both the 900MHz and 1800MHz bands.
Durability They simulate falls from a table or out of a shirt pocket up to 25 times, as well as storing the phones in hot, damp conditions and carrying out a rain test.
Using the table
Scores The overall score is made up of: Ease of use for music: 10%; Volume settings: 10%; Playlists: 10%; Navigation: 10%; Music transfer: 10%; Sound quality: 10%; Ergonomics: 8%; Display: 8%; SMS: 8%; Sensitivity: 8%; Durability: 8%.
Features and system.
Price Recommended retail, as of June 2010.
* Rounded to the nearest half-day.
All phones on test:
- Support 3G, except the Nokia X3 and Samsung GT-C3510 Genoa.
- HTML browser
- Support flight mode, vibration-only mode and hands-free (speakerphone)
- Can record video
- Have a built-in GPS receiver (except the Nokia X3 and Samsung GT-C3510 Genoa)
- Include a USB cable and stereo headphone
- Support Bluetooth Stereo (AD2P)
- Include quad band GSM support, which provides the widest network support when using your phone overseas.