01.DIY hair removal
User trial of 23 home hair-removal products
We sent out wax kits, wax strips, depilatories and epilators to 141 voluntarily hairy-legged trialists. They were asked to assess each product for overall effectiveness, ease of application, ease of removal, how painful the product was to use, whether they experienced skin irritation and the time it took to use.
- If you’ve got a high pain threshold, epilators are a very easy way to keep your legs hair-free.
- Epilators and depilatories are much easier to use than waxes and more effective at removing hair.
- Wax kits rated below average for ease of use.
- Cold wax strips were the least effective method of removing hair from the lower leg.
- Paying more for a product won’t guarantee effectiveness. For three types of hair removers, the least expensive ones came out tops.
Please note: this information was current as of May 2007 but is still a useful guide today.
- Braun Silk-epil EverSoft 2075
- Braun Silk-epil Xelle 5580
- Emjoi BodyBare Chic AP975
- Emjoi BodyBare Ultimate AP98R
- Philips Satinelle HP2844
- Andrea Extra Strength Hair Remover Lotion
- Marzena Hair Remover Lotion
- Nads Hair Removal Creme
- Nair Pretty Hair Removal Spray
- Sally Hansen Extra Strength Hair Remover Lotion
- Veet Hair Removal Mousse
- Veet In-shower Hair Removal Cream
- You'll Love Coles Hair Removal Cream
- Hot Legs Cool Hair Removal Gel Wax
- Julienne Soft Wax
- Nads Sangria Punch Natural Warm Gel
- Nair Salon Divine Body Wax
- Veet Warm Wax Kit
- Andrea Body Wax Strips
- Marzena Large Wax Strips
- Nads Hair Removal Strips
- Nair Pretty Large Wax Strips
- Veet Ready To Use Wax Strips for Normal Skin
What you'll get in this report
- Trialists' ratings of 23 home hair removal products.
- Prices for all products.