Best time to visit Peru
Dry season: May to October.
Wet season: November to April, with January to April likely to be the wettest.
- The best time to visit the highlands, home to the Andes and the Inca Trail, is during the dry season, between May and October. Daytime temperatures are mild, between 20–25°C, but nights at higher elevations get very cold, particularly between June and July. January and February are very wet and the Inca Trail is closed in February for maintenance, although you can still access Machu Picchu, the famous Incan citadel.
- The Amazon jungle is rainy, hot and humid throughout the year, though better May to October, when temperatures reach 30–38°C during the day. Peru's Amazon jungle area is known for its wildlife, particularly birds and insects. You can also go on tours to see wildlife including jaguars and monkeys. If you're interested in adventure tourism, whitewater rafting and kayaking are popular activities.
- If you're heading for the desert coast, including Lima, the country's capital, summer (December to March) is hot and sunny, with temperatures around 25°C. It's cooler but still humid between April to November, and the coast tends to be shrouded in mist. Swimming is possible throughout the year, but the water is always chilly as a result of the Humbolt Current, and very cold in winter. Consider wearing a wetsuit.
Peak and off-peak seasons
December to February.
Peak season: June to August.
Shoulder season: September to November and March to May.
Public holidays in Peru
- January 1 – New Year's Day (Año Nuevo)
- March/April – Maundy Thursday (Jueves Santo)
- March/April – Good Friday (Viernes Santo)
- May 1 – Labour Day (Dia de los Trabajadores)
- June 29 – Feast of St Peter and St Paul (Día de San Pedro y San Pablo)
- July 28-29 – Independence Day and Independence Day Holiday (Día de la Independencia).
- August 30 – St Rose of Lima Day (Día de Santa Rosa de Lima).
- October 8 – Battle of Angamos (Batalla de Angamos).
- November 1 – All Saints' Day (Día de Todos los Santos)
- December 8 – Immaculate Conception (Dia de la Purísima Concepción)
- December 25 – Christmas Day (Navidad)