Skip to content   Skip to footer navigation 

Ryobi RED1850li40 Kit review

Cordless lawn edger. Priced at $299.

CHOICE Expert Rating

Unlock rating

What is the CHOICE Expert Rating?

CHOICE Expert Rating

This is the product's overall performance score, based on key tests conducted by our industry experts.

Sign in

Good points

The product's best features and benefits

Bad points

Drawbacks or issues you need to know about
locked content

Unlock our expert review and more

  • Reviews and ratings you can trust
  • Easy side-by-side comparison
  • Recommended products at a glance
Type View more details.

We test petrol (4-stroke and 2-stroke), cordless (battery), corded (electric) and manual models.

Recommended View more details.

We recommend lawn edgers that score 75% or more overall.

CHOICE Expert Rating View more details.

This overall score is based on performance (60%) and ease of use (40%). Performance along hard edges makes up 70% of the performance score, with soft edges making up the remaining 30%.

Performance score – hard edges View more details.

Performance on hard edges tests rate how well the edger cuts along concrete paths and kerbs, and how neat the edge is afterwards.

Performance score – soft edges View more details.

Performance on soft edges tests rate how well the edger cuts along soft garden beds, and how neat the edge is afterwards.

Ease of use score View more details.

Ease of use is based on how easy it is to manoeuvre the edger on concrete foot paths and on grass around garden beds; comfort of the handle; visibility of the edge while cutting; using the controls; the amount of vibration; and adjusting the cutting height.

Year tested View more details.

The year each model was tested. Tests in different years may have been done under different conditions on different sites, and can't be directly compared with each other.

Availability View more details.

These models can't be found in retailers or online or are no longer manufactured, but you may still find them on second-hand websites or in second-hand dealers.

Tested model
Price View more details.

Recommended or typical retail price. For cordless models this includes the battery and charger that we used.

Blade length (cm) View more details.

The diameter of the blade configuration.

Claimed noise (dB)
Engine capacity (cc) View more details.

For petrol models, the capacity of the engine in cubic centimetres.

Motor power (W)
Not stated
Warranty (years) View more details.

The warranty in years. Some models specify different periods for each component. Others offer a "lifetime" warranty, which can be useful but may be limited by terms and conditions.

Edger: 4 years (6 with registration); battery and charger: 3 years
Noise measured at operator's position (dB) View more details.

Our tester measures noise at the user's ear level.

Noise measured at 7.5m (dB) View more details.

Our tester measures noise at a distance of 7.5m.

Number of depth positions View more details.

An adjustable cutting height is useful; the more positions, the more versatile the edger.

Weight (kg) View more details.

The weight of the edger in kilograms. Measured with fuel tank empty for petrol models, and with batteries installed for cordless models.

Depth range (mm) View more details.

The maximum depth, or range of depths, to which the edger can cut, in mm.

15 to 45
Country of origin View more details.

Where the product was manufactured (though parts may have been sourced from other places).

Assembly required
Yes (need to assemble shaft)
Telescopic handle
Adjustable front handle
Edging guide tongue View more details.

Although lawn edgers generally have a marking on the blade cover that helps you follow the line between the lawn and the path or garden bed edge, a special path edging guide "tongue" is handy to better point you in the right direction.

Safety interlock switch View more details.

A safety switch that must be pressed or held down in order to operate the main power switch or throttle. This helps ensure you don't accidently start the blades turning, for example while moving the edger to a different location during a job. 

Member reviews

Average rating

Get full access to all our tests and reviews