Visa requirements for Chile

Visa, reciprocity tax and tourist card guide when travelling to Chile.

Do you need a visa to travel to Chile?

Travelling to Chile but not sure if you need a visa or how to pay the reciprocity fee? In this guide you'll find information about:

Visas and the Chilean reciprocity fee explained

Australian passport holders travelling to Chile for a holiday of up to 90 days don't need a visa to enter the country, but do need to pay a reciprocity fee. The tax is currently $US117, but this may change. The fee is good for multiple entries into Chile within a 90-day period, starting the day you arrive in the country.

How to pay the reciprocity fee

The reciprocity fee must be paid by credit card, EFTPOS or in US dollars on arrival in Chile.

What to do once you've paid

Once you've paid your fee, you'll receive a "tourist card", which is valid for 90 days. You can apply for an extension at the Chilean Immigration Office in Santiago, located at San Antonio 580. Phone: (562) 2550 2469. If you lose your card or it's stolen, you can get a new one at an International Police office (PDI office) or at the Santiago international airport.

Who needs a Chilean visa? 

If you're going to work or study in Chile, or if you're the holder of an Australian diplomatic or official passport, then you'll need to apply for a visa at your nearest Chilean embassy or consulate. 

Travelling with children

Parents travelling with children aged under 18 may have to show the child's birth certificate and provide a copy of it to authorities. Parents with sole custody of their children may be asked to show the court order granting custody.

A child aged under 18 who is travelling without either of their parents must carry a notarised document that gives permission from their parents to travel, plus a copy of their birth certificate. 

Any document that isn't in Spanish must be officially translated and notarised by a Chilean consular officer at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Santiago or at a Chilean embassy or consulate abroad.

The documents must be executed within three months of your entry or departure from Chile.

It's a good idea to carry at least three copies of each document.

Dual nationals 

Chile doesn't recognise dual nationality and local laws may deem you a Chilean citizen only, even if you've renounced your Chilean citizenship. If you think you might be a Chilean citizen, you should ring the local embassy or consulate for advice before you travel.

Children who are aged under 18 and born to Chilean parents in Australia may enter Chile for a holiday on an Australian passport for up to 90 days. Any longer, and the child must get a Chilean passport.

Ready to start planning your trip? Our Chile travel guide can help you plan your itinerary, figure out the best time of year to visit and reveals the must-do activities.