Reliability is a must when it comes to your hot water system – but it's not something we can test in our labs.
We survey thousands of members about the hot water systems they own, what they think of them and how they've held up over time.
More than 9000 members participated in our 2017 survey. They gave us a great indication of the most reliable brands.
What we found: electric and gas generally more reliable
- Electric and gas systems were significantly more reliable than solar hot water and heat pump systems. They had higher reliability scores and also fewer problems in the first eight years.
- Electric and gas systems are slightly less likely than heat pump systems to make loud noises. Other problems with hot water systems include issues with pumps, valves, fans, compressors and continuous heating.
- Electric, heat pump or solar are less likely to keep going hot and cold than gas.
Unlock this article and more
- Information you can trust
- See the best brands
- Avoid the worst performers