Need to know
- Our CHOICE experts have tested 50 currently available barrel and upright vacuums from brands such as Dyson, Hoover, Kmart Anko, Miele, Vax and more
- We score each vacuum on how easy they are to manoeuvre, operate and empty, and how easy the supplied accessories are to use and store
- For CHOICE members, we reveal the vacuums we rated as easiest to use
Vacuuming isn't exactly the most enjoyable job, so if you're going to do it, you might as well make it as easy as possible, right?
Whether you have mobility issues, hate lugging a heavy vacuum up the stairs or want to start your five-year-old on the vacuuming, we've got you covered: here are five of the easiest to use vacuums on the market.
CHOICE tester Matthew puts each vacuum through its paces.
How we test
We thoroughly test vacuums in our NATA-accredited labs, assessing them for cleaning performance, pet hair removal and ease of use.
To calculate the ease of use score, our expert testers assess each vacuum for:
- how easy it is to manoeuvre the cleaner
- how easy it is to move the cleaning head on the carpet and under low furniture
- how easy it is to empty and change the dirt receptacle (the bag or bin)
- operation of the controls
- how easy the supplied accessories are to use and store
- reach from power point.
Still curious? Here's exactly how we test vacuum cleaners at CHOICE.
Ease of use makes up 30% of the overall score for our bagged and bagless vacuum test (with the rest of the score being related to the cleaning performance of the vacuum). So while some of the models in our review may score more highly on ease of use, they may score less favourably on the actual cleaning performance which means that CHOICE experts were unable to recommend them.
As a vacuum that's easy to use is not necessarily much good to you if it doesn't do the job you need to do, we've selected the models below that stood out as good performers on both these fronts. This is why it's vital to do your research before buying a product to understand how products perform based on the factors that are most important to you.
The easiest to use vacuums from our tests
To help you find the vacuum that's easiest to use, we've compiled the best performing vacuums that our experts found easy to use in our tests.
Consider becoming a CHOICE member to discover which five vacuum cleaners our experts rated as the easiest to use based on how easy they are to manoeuvre, operate and empty.
You'll also get access to our full vacuum cleaner results, and reviews from more than 200 other product categories.
Unlock this article and more
- Information you can trust
- See the best brands
- Avoid the worst performers