Our testers hit the roads to find out which car GPS devices or smartphone apps are worth taking on your next trip.
For apps we look through the various online stores to see the most popular smartphone GPS apps and take them out on the road. We test the latest version of the app, on contemporary, mid to high-end iOS and Android devices.
For GPS devices we analyse the local sales figures to determine the most popular models from companies such as TomTom, Garmin and Navman.
Find an address
We measure the ability of the GPS to find an address correctly, in the country and the city.
- Regional: We check various business addresses for accuracy in various states. If the address can't be found and the business is not a point of interest either, then the score is zero for that address.
- City: These tests are done in Sydney, as past results in various cities showed very little difference between models in built-up areas in terms of distances and arrival times. We select 10 locations around the city, and the more locations the GPS finds and then routes to, the better the score. The total of the predicted distances is calculated, and the more accurate the predicted distance, the better the score.
Ease of use
- Apps: We assess how easy it is to install the app and use the menu structure on the touchscreen. We also look at the quality of the display data such as distance to next turn, street name and turn direction symbols.
- Devices: We assess how useful the GPS's instructions are, how easy it is to attach and remove the unit, and whether it vibrates during travel. We also look at how easy it is to use the menu structure on the touchscreen and, where supplied, whether it's necessary to use a stylus to navigate the menu.
- Verbal instructions are assessed on the quality of the voice, timing of turn and other instructions, how clear the instructions are, and whether it's possible to rely on verbal instructions without looking at the screen.
Speed of map refresh
- We check how long it takes the GPS to recover after a missed turn, and after coming out of a tunnel with a planned turn-off immediately after the tunnel exit.
The overall score is made up of:
- Find an address 25%
- Ease of use 20%
- Verbal instructions 20%
- Screen quality 15%
- Points of interest 10%
- Map refresh speed 10%
Note, some general data for apps is dependent on the device it is installed on, such as screen size. Variable data such as this is listed as "smartphone" in our table.
Our test lab
We maintain a lab that is up to date with the latest reference machines and calibrated measurement tools for our testers to bring you the right results.