Momentum is a 100% Australian-owned energy company supplying gas and electricity to its customer base across Australia. Momentum has won multiple awards for customer satisfaction in recent years, and prides itself on offering energy from renewable sources through its parent company, Hydro Tasmania.
Momentum Energy is a publicly-owned company. Its parent company Hydro Tasmania is owned by the Tasmanian Government. Hydro Tasmania claims to be "Australia's largest generator of clean renewable energy", and generates power through hydro electricity and wind farms.
However, while its parent company is a renewable energy generator, Momentum Energy supplies power from the National Electricity Market (NEM), which is a pool of electricity generated by a range of sources, including fossil fuels. Therefore the product Momentum supplies is not necessarily from renewable sources.
Contact details for Momentum Energy
1800 627 228
Momentum Energy is one of three energy retailers to earn a CHOICE recommendation.
- Momentum Energy publicly stands against investment in fossil fuels, and through Hydro Tasmania owns predominately renewable power plants, which the company reinvests in heavily.
- Its green electricity score has increased from 7 out of 10 stars to 8.5.
- It provides active support for household solar.
- Offers GreenPower plans whereby Momentum will purchase renewable energy on your behalf.
- But its parent company owns and runs two large gas power stations..
- Power offered by Momentum comes from the National Electricity Market, which is an undefined mixture of renewable and non-renewable energy. Because of this, the energy mix of Momentum's product offering is unknown.
- While Momentum does have low emissions, the company and its product are not carbon neutral.
- 2046 (1.6%) Momentum Energy customers made complaints against the company in 2021–22.
- When calling Momentum's customer service, 69% of people had their calls answered in under 30 seconds.
- The average wait time was 57 seconds, a drop from 38-second wait time recorded in 2020–21.
- 2.6% of calls made to Momentum were abandoned before being answered.
Stock images: Getty, unless otherwise stated.